Sealing the Trailer and Attaching the Nailers

So, funny thing. The trailer isn’t level! Not so funny, but we are trying to remind ourselves it’s a journey, we are learning, it’s not all supposed to go right the first time around……………right.

Well, we went back and forth with deciding to get shims and use more blocking, or buying new jack stands that screw instead of have predetermined height levels (in the form of notches on the stand). We decided on the screw jacks, and went to Home Depot to buy them but they weren’t in stock. So we ordered them online, and it took a little over a week for them to get delivered. So, on to other tasks while we wait!! I preoccupied myself with measuring and cutting insulation which is a whole blog post in itself so I won’t go into much detail here. However, as I write this I have about 75% of the insulation cut and ready to be installed. I didn’t want to install it as I cut because a big rain storm was going to come through late last week and our trailer isn’t covered. I worked last Tuesday and Wednesday getting as much insulation cut as possible, and then took a break until the storm passed.

We got quite a bit of rain, which is exciting for our poor drought-ridden state. We tried to embrace it, and took the time to get homework/work done at our favorite coffee shop. Today, with clouds in the sky and a biting wind blowing, we got back out there and got the second nailer on and sealed up the holes in our flashing. The nailer took some finagling as the piece of wood was a bit bowed and difficult to get level. But after some strategic clamp placement, we were able to get it level enough to start attaching it with screws and adjusted as needed as we went along.

 

img_3947img_3948

Next we tackled the gaps between the trailer frame and flashing. Our trailer manufacturer insisted that the gaps are supposed to be there to let water out….which I completely understand for the construction process (if it filled up with water during this past rain it would have been hard to get the water out), but once we have a floor — and eventually a house — on top of the trailer I was more worried about water coming in from underneath the trailer when it was driving down the road. After more research and reaching out to the tiny house community we decided to seal it up with some Tite Seal weatherproofing tape under the trailer and silicone caulk on top of the frame. Even if this was unnecessary, the redundancy of it will still provide peace of mind which is enough for me to be happy we did it!img_3934 img_3944

 

 

 

 

 

 

We head off to the city tomorrow for two days and we will be back to building on Thursday. Now that we have jack stands we should get the trailer leveled, the rest of the insulation cut and start on the plywood subfloor! Stay tuned 😉

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.